Partnering with parents to connect kids to God's story. Parenting in the early stages isn’t easy, but with direction and intentionality, parents can begin to build a spiritual foundation that lasts.
We are crazy about kids at StoryHeights! To us, kids ministry shouldn’t be babysitting where we just keep them quiet and out of the way. Instead, we believe the best and most critical time to connect a person’s story to God’s story is during childhood. We say SH Kids is where the story begins. We do everything we can to make the SH Kids’ weekend experience fun, exciting and engaging!
What to Expect
All children age 6 weeks to 4th grade are welcome to enter into Infant, Preschool and Elementary classrooms according to their ages. Your child will be cared for and engage in age-appropriate worship, Bible stories, and crafts, games and other activities. Our kids’ team is trained to equip your kids to love God with resources and great activities you can continue with at home during the week. We also host events throughout the year to engage your kids with God’s story to help you create a love for God’s House in their hearts.
We use Orange curriculum for our preschool and elementary school classes. Classes include age-appropriate worship and activities with a special focus on a Godly principle each month to encourage kids to discover more of who Jesus is and grow in their relationship with him.
Dedicate your child to God. Child dedications are a joint expression of a parent’s desire to raise godly children and our church’s committment as a church to support you. We dedicate children two times per year in the fall and spring seasons. We invite families with children 0-5 to participate in the dedication event.
SH Kids Baptisms
Water baptism is an outward expression of an inward decision. We water baptize children who make their own decision to follow Jesus. We do not christen infants. While choosing to follow Jesus and be baptized is a personal decision, we want to partner and celebrate with you. We do this through a short baptism class for the whole family, which will give us an opportunity to meet your family, ensure your child understands water baptism, and gives everyone a chance to ask questions.
Elementary School: We use Orange curriculum’s elementary program called 252 Basics, based on 3 basic, powerful truths modeled by Jesus in Luke 2:52. The curriculum focuses on a different, godly principle each month and aims to encourage kids to discover more of who Jesus is and grow in their relationship with him.
Preschool: We use Orange Curriculum’s First Look program especially created for preschool aged children, with interactive play and lessons. It is designed to give toddlers their first look at who God is and his love for them.
Infants: We don’t use a specific curriculum with our infants, but we do focus on safe, fun and interactive play and care, where our teachers sing songs, read books and nurture the children.
Orange comes along with weekly parent resources to facilitate continued conversation and to support kids in their walk with God. Our children’s pastor sends weekly emails with these resources straight to your inbox.
Each classroom is led and taught by highly trained StoryHeights volunteers. Each volunteer has passed a CORI & SORI background check and has been safety trained for both first-aid and active shooter safety.
On special occasions such as holidays and quarterly Super Sundays we provide treats as children leave. We will make sure you know about this ahead of time, and provide alternative non-edible treats for those with dietary restrictions. You are welcome to send your child to church with bottles and/or sippy cups, and if your child needs to be fed at a certain time, please let their classroom teacher know.
We are a peanut-free environment so please refrain from bringing snacks with nuts.
Upon checking your child(ren) into StoryHeights Kids, you will receive a ID tag with your child(ren)’s ID number on it. One of these tags will be stuck on the back of your child(ren) and on any of your belongings. You will be given two matching ID tags to keep in your possession. In the case of an emergency or if your child is inconsolable, your ID number will flash on the screen in the service auditorium during. Please report to your child’s classroom to attend to your child at that time.
We love and value children at StoryHeights Church! One of our highest priorities is investing in the next generation so that they can know God’s love and give their lives to Jesus at an early age. We have invested in and built a state-of-the-art secure and amazing kids’ wing that children 6 weeks to 4th grade will love and flourish in. Our kids’ staff are all safety and CPR-trained and CORI/SORI and NSORI background checked and are vibrant teachers of God’s Word to children. Additionally, we have an AED and first-aid kit on site, and a plain-clothed officer that does regular safety checks during our services.If you’d like to tour our facilities and meet our staff before your first visit, we encourage you to schedule a tour with our Kids’ Staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer to keep your child with you for whatever reason during service, please be aware of our guidelines for children in our adult service.
These guidelines help us to provide the most distraction-free environment possible inside our worship auditorium so that everyone can engage with God in worship.
- Please be mindful of the people around you. If your child begins to cry and make excessive noise, there is a family worship lounge and nursing mothers’ lounge immediately adjacent to the auditorium where the service is live-streamed that we ask that you relocate to. These rooms have rocking chairs, kids’ tables and high chairs, couches and toys so your child can be free to be a kid!
- If you have children below your knee coming into the auditorium, we ask that you sit in our reserved parents’ section, which have reserved seats closest to the exit for the family worship lounge and nursing mothers’ room.
- Please be advised if your child is crying or making excessive noise, one of our ushers will be available to help you relocate to one of the family rooms.
- Due to space constraints, no strollers are allowed in our auditorium or kids’ wing, and infant carriers are not allowed in our auditorium. Should you have any questions or need assistance, please email email@example.com.
It is our goal to have a kids wing that is a safe and secure space for all of our kids. The very first time you check your child(ren) into the kids’ wing, you will have the option of giving your approval for your kids’ pictures to be taken. If you would not like your child(ren)’s image to be used in our promotional materials and social media, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a picture of your child(ren).
We are big on safety and security. All of our kids’ volunteers undergo intense background checks and safety training before they can serve. In addition, we have many safety measures in place in our building like an installed AED, safety first bags in each classroom as well as choking preventative tools in place. We also have safe policies in place that you need to be aware of:
- Strollers are not allowed inside our building.
- Every child must be checked in and out every Sunday by a parent or guardian, noting any allergies or special needs in your child’s profile. You will receive a tag with a unique ID number that you must show at the classroom door in order to receive your child.
- If your child needs you during service, our team will text your phone. Please ensure your phone’s notifications are turned on so you can receive the text alerts. Our team will do their best to provide you with a distraction-free worship service; however, parental assistance may be requested in instances of excessive crying or when disciplinary action is needed.
- Snacks & water bottles with an ID tag are welcome in the classrooms, but please refrain from packing snacks with any form of nuts.
- Upon check-in, please communicate any diapering/bathroom/nap/feeding needs or preferences to the volunteer team.
- Parents and guests of parents are welcome to receive a guided tour of our facility by one of our kids’ staff after all classes have been cleared of children.